Home > 2012 > What Tim Tebow Taught Me About Selling CT Real Estate

What Tim Tebow Taught Me About Selling CT Real Estate

Adam De Young - Director of Marketing - TebowingIn case you missed it, last night, beleaguered NFL quarterback and lightening rod, Tim Tebow, beat the odds and advanced his team, the Denver Broncos, in the NFL playoffs. Tebow, whose quarterback skills had been maligned most of the season was coming off of a 6-22 passing performance and a loss against one of the leagues worst teams the week before. Heading into last night’s game against the best defense in the league, very few people gave him any kind of chance whatsoever.

He started out slow and his team was down 6-0 after the first quarter, it looked like the critics were right.

Then he lit up the best defense in football to lead 20-6 at halftime. In the second half his opponent the Pittsburgh Steelers woke up and rallied to tie the game at 23 at the end of regulation. In overtime, if the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, the game is over. The Broncos got the ball and Tim Tebow, threw a strike to his wide-receiver who ran the ball in for a touchdown to get Tim Tebow his first playoff win and defy the odds.

At one point this season, Tim Tebow wasn’t even the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos and when he was on the bench they were 1-4 with no playoff hopes. Then, they gave the guy a shot and he led them to a mediocre 8-8 record, but it was enough to get them into the playoffs and the season starts anew in the playoffs.

So what is the Tim Tebow magic? Some people say it’s Divine Intervention because he wears his religion on his sleeve.

I believe it is his belief in himself and his teammates to get the job done. THAT is the trick. Nothing bigger or more powerful then that. He believes and has encouraged his teammates to believe in themselves and it has led to some pretty incredible games with Tim Tebow at the helm.

How can this translate in the CT real estate market for you?

Think about it this way. With the market in the shape that it is in now, you might think of yourself as starting out the season at 1-4. The pundits are saying it will take years for the real estate market to turn around. Prices are low. Demand is low. What are you going to do?

Do what Tebow does.

Believe in yourself. If you have a team, believe in your team. After all, the pundits aren’t going on listing appointments with you. The pundits aren’t holding open houses with you. The pundits aren’t going above and beyond for your clients with you.

The real estate market as a whole may very well take a while to turn around, but your business doesn’t have to.

The next time you’re heading out for a listing appointment think about Tim Tebow. Think about how he never gives up. The guy had FOUR overtime wins this season alone. He had SIX fourth quarter comebacks. He doesn’t get down on himself. He doesn’t get down on his team. He believes that every time he touches the ball is another opportunity to make something happen.

The same can be true for you. The next time you send an e-mail, is another opportunity to make something happen. The next time you pick up the phone is another opportunity to make something happen. The next sign you hang, Facebook status update you write, Tweet or YouTube video you make is another opportunity to make something happen.

It might be Tim Tebow time in Denver, but in Connecticut, it’s YOUR time. Make something happen and then, take a picture of yourself Tebowing. What is Tebowing? See the picture at the top of this post for a clue. Send me your pictures and I’ll share them right here in a previous blog post.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 20 Comments

20 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Winston Churchill is credited with a short speech at college graduation exercize that went something like this:
    “NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER, NEVER, GIVE UP”

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

More great words to live by RoyCroft!! Thanks for the inspiration :)!!

2. Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Nice inspirational article and I love the analogies. I respect Tebow’s faith and unabashed to show it (a little too strong for me) but it seems he takes no credit for his ability and results. I think Tebow is more of a poster child for Baptists and faithful people all over the country. I liken your story more to the life and times of Tom Brady. He too was thought never to amount to anything and HE is all about self-confidence and is the ultimate team player. Regardless, really nice article.

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Mary Beth – don’t let my post fool you, I am Team Brady all the way on Saturday…Tebow is just a wonderful story!! Thanks for the comment!!

3. Sally Peters
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Please, please, PLEASE! Let’s keep religon and Tim Tebow out of Real Estate. Why isn’t it enough to just believe in OURSELVES?

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Sally thank you for your comment…I just wanted to point you to the piece of the post that says…

I agree with your assessment, it is more then enough to believe in yourself!!

4. Carlos Gomez
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Nice pep talk for someone who is on a CTMLS salary. What has been overlooked in this idiotic article is the fact that this football player is highly paid and perhaps rightly so. So..whether this player wins or looses the paychecks still come in. Please no more pep talks

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Carlos, thank you for your comment. Sorry you didn’t take what I did from the Bronco’s game last night. It inspired me.

5. Marianne
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I am offended by your comment
    Some may say
    I believe it is his belief in himself and his teammates to get the job done.
    I believe in divine intervention thru the name of Jesus there is power in that name and if you think you do not need him wait till a disaster happens in you or your familys life I bet you will be praying, but it is so sad to see that we discredit the power of prayer!
    I am a believer and proud to know that a Savior came to this earth and give his life because he so loved us. He still is on the throne and every knee will bow someday.

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Marianne, thank you for your comment. When I say “some people say it is Divine Intervention” I am referencing the fact that some people believe that there is a higher power at work and I was not discrediting that, just saying that for me, what makes his story inspirational is his believe in himself and the people around him. I respect his religion 100%.

Thank you for your comment.

6. Posted January 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Truer words were never spoken! I so believe in team work. I was at a party the other night and someone attending said they do not believe in teams or teamwork. Doesn’t like football or anything involving teams. And this person was very aggressive and adamant about it! It was very hard for me not to say something I would regret. But I held my tongue. Then later on that night driving home with my husband, we thought of all the good things we could have said. Yes, all good things. The next time I am in a situation like that, I will remember to Tebow!

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Jackie, isn’t that always the way. You think of a great rebuttal right after you leave the person’s side? Glad you’ve got some more ideas after reading the post. Thanks for your comment.

7. Posted January 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

What a great game and what an inspiring article! Great job!

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Elaine, thanks for your comment. Glad you appreciated the game as I did.

8. Gail DiMarco
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

It’s really is all about Divine Intervention. God always blesses those who acknowledge Him in their lives. Tim is more than an athelete he is also a man who loves his creator, loves to encourage others and shares his faith. Networking, caring about your clients, new and old, working hard and praying is a winning play for real estate and life.

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Great comments Gail. He is truly an inspiration to us all.

9. Neal Yates
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I am neither a born-again Christian nor religious fanatic. I am a life-long, often-lapsed Episcopalian, who made a pretty good living writing for more than 40 years, and who has been a licensed, albeit part-time, real estate agent since the mid-1980s.

For starters, Tebow has never credited divine intervention in his victories. He says he simply thanks his God for giving him the talents that enabled him to succeed. Whatever divine power each of us may believe in, we would have to be a complete moron to believe God takes sides in a football game.

Yes, young Tebow inspires us all to do our best, as do Drew, Tom, Cam and a host of others who excel at their chosen profession.

That said, to parrot the image of this decent, young man giving thanks on one knee and do in a real estate blog is pretty insulting to anyone who believes in God or respects those who do. Tebow is not on one knee for contemplation, to get a short rest, or to tie his shoe. He is talking to his God.

It’s one thing to ask God to help build our book of business and if that’s what “John” is suggesting, fine. It’s quite another to mimic Tebow on one knee and not be talking to God; that is making fun of a decent young man and his religious practices. Well-intentioned, perhaps, but amazingly insensitive, at best.

To me, seriously encouraging real estate professionals to, in effect, mock someone’s religious practice and then ask them to send in a photograph of themselves doing it passes simple insensitivity and borders on the truly dumb.

Complete stupidity, of course, is reserved for those of us who comply.

Perhaps “John” should drop to one knee and pray that I was the only one who read his blog. Oh, and he needn’t bother sending in a photo.

• Adam
      Posted January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Neal, thank you for your comments. The post was not intended to mock Tim Tebow, but rather celebrate his incredible success. I truly respect the man for being a catalyst for his team and for his religion. I appreciate your comments on this post.

10. Joel Matson
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Hello Adam,
    Thanks for the positve message, and thanks for having the creativity to get out there and taking a risk and pushing the envelope a tad bit. Looks like Tebow is not the only lightning rod.
    It is tough times in our world in in our industry, In the online forums that I participate in, I am most appreciative of those participants that make an effort to rise above, to encourage, and not get down’n’dirty when they disagree. Civility is free.
    Best to everyone in 2012,
    Joel

• Adam
      Posted January 10, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Joel I am glad you appreciated the post. Keeping it positive is the only way to do it in a tough market. Good luck out there :)